^(Left) Dynasty® 280 & (Right) Dynasty® 280 DX Image Courtesy of Miller Electric at http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:YHOsbwg6rPcJ:https://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD4-9.pdf+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in
Can it Get Better Than This?
Every once in a while there comes along a technology that is so useful, it sweeps the world off its feet. The Miller® Dynasty® 280 DX TIG welder is one such device that promises to radically alter the world of tungsten inert gas (TIG) and stick welding.
Designed to address the peculiar welding-related needs of the present and the future, the Dynasty® 280 DX is a piece of equipment that 21st century welding and fabrication shops just cannot do without.
At the root of its versatility is the tailored arc control. It employs numerous alternating current (AC) waveforms with exceptional balance and frequency control in order to impart peculiar characteristics to the arc. The machine also utilizes direct current (DC) to great effect.
Capable of welding extremely thin metals, the machine offers welds that are not only of the topmost quality but also pleasant looking. Now, that’s a not-too-common combination of style and substance!
From initiating the arc to preventing the sticking of the electrode and welding for longer durations, everything about the machine says efficacy. And it will give you such sterling results even if circumstances force you to use unreliable and low-quality sources of welding power.
Despite all such superlative capabilities, the machine is light, durable, and unbelievably portable. Plus, it is user-friendly and sets welding parameters automatically to facilitate rapid training of the trainee welder-operator.
What is more it comes loaded with real-time, online machine control and feedback that help the operator boost weld quality and productivity. In short, it raises the standard of every element of TIG and stick welding operations. What else can we ask for?
Applications & Features
The Dynasty® 280 DX is ideally suited for fabrication and industrial manufacturing applications such as:
- Heavy Fabrication
- Precision Fabrication
- Pipe & Tube Fabrication
- Aluminum Ship Repair
- Anodized Aluminum Fabrication
Speaking specifically of industries, the welder is useful in sectors such as manufacturing, shipbuilding, high-purity processing, heavy equipment manufacturing, construction, boat and yacht building, infrastructure, railcar, and aerospace.
|Length||22.5” (inches) / 569mm|
|Height||13.6” / 346mm|
|Width||8.6” / 219mm|
|Net Weight||52pounds (lb) / 23.6kg|
55lb / 25kg with CPS
With a host of advanced features, you can tailor the arc characteristics for specific applications using the Dynasty® 280 DX. These features include:
- Blue LightningTM High-Frequency (HF) Non-Contact Arc Starter for contactless, better, and more consistent arc starts
And because it uses HF only for the duration of starting, HF interference in welding operations is automatically minimized
- Pro-SetTM Technology provides pre-set i.e. automatic welding parameter selection. This way, your trainee welder does not have to guess the values of the numerous welding parameters. Please note, such guesswork can be expensive and sometimes lethal
In combination with an intuitive interface and user-friendly features, the Pro-SetTM Technology ensures that your welder learns to weld rapidly. This minimizes the beginner’s downtime while ensuring that experienced users enjoy its high-end features
- Insight CenterpointTM raises weld quality and welder productivity through real-time machine control and operator feedback
- Insight CoreTM improves fundamental weld quality and productivity via online reporting and monitoring
- Hot StartTM Adaptive Control lowers sticking
- Auto-Line Power Management Technology allows you to use single-phase or three-phase power ranging between 208-575V without manual linking
This is a great way to get around unreliable power supply. It also allows you use a generator as the source of welding power
- Cooler Power Source (CPS) is a dedicated and integrated 120V receptacle for the CoolmateTM3. The CPS is available only on those models that can use the CoolmateTM 1.3 as an accessory
- Cooler-on-DemandTM comes with CPS models only. It activates the auxiliary cooling system only when necessary. This minimizes power consumption, noise, and the quantity of contaminants sucked in through the cooler
- Fan-on-DemandTM Power Source Cooling System operates only when necessary. This minimizes power use, noise, and the amount of impurities sucked in by the machine
- Wind Tunnel TechnologyTM boosts the useful life of internal components by shielding them from airborne contaminants
These cooling and durability related features lend the machine the capacity to weld for longer durations at higher amperages. For example, the machine can weld continuously at 200A current
|Maximum Open Circuit Voltage||60 VDC|
|Material Thicknesses Welded||Aluminum: 0.012”(inches) to 3/8” i.e. 0.3mm to 9.5mm|
Steel: 0.004” to 3/8” i.e. 0.1mm to 9.5mmWelding ModeInput PowerWelding Amperage RangeRated OutputAmps Input at Rated Load Output, 50/60 Hz208V230V400V460V575VKVAKWTIG (GTAW)3 Phase2-280A (AC)
1-280A (DC)235A @ 19.4V, 60% Duty Cycle191710977.06.71 Phase2-280A (AC)
1-280A (DC)235A @ 19.4V, 60% Duty Cycle33301715126.96.8Stick (SMAW)3 Phase5-280A200A @ 28V, 60% Duty Cycle2220111088.27.91 Phase5-280A180A @ 27.2V, 60% Duty Cycle34311715127.17.0
- Stick-Stuck senses a stuck electrode and turns off the welding output. Thereafter, you can safely remove the electrode
- Sleep Timer cuts down power usage when the machine is idling
- Wireless Remote Control over weld quality
- Front Panel Memory Card Port provides free downloadable software updates for upgrading the product features. Such updates also facilitate the natural growth of the skill of your welder force
Other, miscellaneous merits of the Dynasty® 280 DX include:
- Ability to weld thinner metals
- Complete digital control for improved repeatability and quality control
- Lower bottom end
- Needs lesser electrical servicing, lower line requirements, smaller power cords, and tinier breaker fuses
- Being light, it is easily portable. You don’t have to move it with a crane
It weighs only 52pounds (23.6kg) although Cooler Power Source (CPS)-equipped models weigh 55pounds (25kg). With the dual carry handles and a carrying strap, it becomes superbly portable
LED on the Control Panel is user-friendly and provides categorical signals of the state / mode of the machine:
- Green LED means the machine is ready for welding
- Red LED indicates that the machine is ON at is main switch but in the standby mode
- No LED means the machine is either turned off or unplugged
AC Waveforms & Tailored Arc
Despite weighing a meager 52pounds, the Dynasty® 280 DX packs quite a punch with a:
- Rated Output of 200A at 28V, 60% Duty Cycle
- Input Power of 208-575V using Single Phase or Three Phase Power
- Amperage of 280A (DC) and 280A (AC)
Its complete A.C. features make it an ideal candidate for addressing the peculiar requirements of precision fabrication. These include a diverse range of balance and frequency as well as advanced waveforms.
|Input Power||TIG (GTAW) Duty Cycle||Stick (SMAW) Duty Cycle||AC TIG Material Thickness Range||DC TIG Material Thickness Range||Stick Electrode Maximum Diameter||Carbon Arc Gouging (CAC-A) Maximum||Generator Requirement|
200A, 100%280A, 15%
160A, 100%0.012-3/8 inches0.004-3/8 inches6010: 1/4inch
7024: 3/16inch3/16 inches12.5kW1-Phase280A, 25%
200A, 100%280A, 10%
Upgraded balance and frequency control allow welding aluminum with pointed tungsten. This transforms into lesser heat input into the part, better starts, smaller weld beads, faster traverse, and greater arc control.
For example, 50-99% AC balance control while TIG welding aluminum provides better looking weld joints with less etching. The Dynasty® 280 DX executes the following welding processes:
- AC/DC TIG (GTAW):
- AC TIG welding comes with exceptional balance and frequency control
With balance control, you can modify oxide removal that is necessary for top-class aluminum welds
Frequency control enables better adjustment of the arc cone and arc direction
- DC TIG offers an outstandingly accurate and smooth arc for welding exotic materials
- AC/DC Stick (SMAW) offers:
- Tailored Arc Control (DIG) wherein you can modify arc features for specific applications. Deep penetrating electrodes require higher DIG setting vis-à-vis smooth running electrodes that require lower DIG setting
- Stick-Stuck for early detection and safe retrieval of stuck electrodes
- AC Frequency Control provides stability for smoother welds
- Hot StartTM Adaptive Control enables arc starts without sticking
- Pulsed TIG (GTAW-P)
- Air Carbon Arc (CAC-A)
Numerous AC waveforms for TIG welding aluminum offer better weld control and characteristics. The Dynasty® 280 DX utilizes the following AC Waveforms:
- Superior Square-Wave offers deeper penetration, a rapidly freezing puddle, and faster travel speeds
- Soft Square-Wave provides a soft battery arc with better wetting action and great puddle control
- Triangular Wave is more compatible for welding thin gauge aluminum and lends better travel speeds while cutting down on the heat input
- Sine Wave grants a quieter, conventional arc with better wetting and
Two of the most important accessories / of the Dynasty® 280 DX welder are:
- CoolmateTM is a 1.3gallon (4.9liter), 120VAC cooler that can cool weld torches of up to 280amp current capacity. It is available for the Cooler Power Source (CPS)-equipped Dynasty® 280 DX welders
Weighing 43pounds (20kg), the CoolmateTM has a rated cooling capacity of 1,330W and a maximum cooling capacity of 3,400W
- WeldcraftTM W-280 (WP-280) TIG Torch comes with advanced qualities such as multiple-position locking and anti-rotation features that boost operator control during welding
A water-cooled two-piece torch head, it makes the best use of the proprietary Super-CoolTM Technology that increases the surface area to hike cooling capacity and efficiency
Productivity improvement is always at the base of any invention, innovation, or technological development. This is because the real, long-term driver of economic growth is always productivity hike. Precisely why the Miller® Dynasty® 280 DX TIG welder is a step in the right direction.
Interested to know the latest developments in the world of welding? Visit our blog. For supreme marine fabrication services, marine pipe fitting, and large scale custom metal fabrication, contact Kemplon Engineering.